making a difference

It's been a while since Sweets has gone to work with me at the shelter, about 7 months now. She didn't mind much, would just sleep most of the day. The job was rewarding and heartbreaking. I saw the "worst of it" when we would take trips to the rural south or to other open admission shelters in our back yard or a few hundred miles away. I really got the scope of the problem when on one visit to a shelter in rural Ga, the shelter manager was showing me around. When I asked her what the stats were for the year, she said, "8000 in, 100 out".

I got it. I really got it.

It's called the animal overpopulation crisis, because that's what it is...a crisis.

I'm moved my people that are out there making a difference on this front, as volunteers and as change agents. Locally, Lori Bentz of Last Chance Rescue has plans to expand her exisitng facility for more dogs, cats, lizards, what have you that she rescues from Philadephia Animal Control.

And Denise Bash, founder of Animal Lifelife raises funds so that the people working tirelessly in rescue and sheltering, have financial support. Not to mention her work in Appalacia- trucking in supplies, dog houses, creating shelter for stray animals, with a goal of 50 animals placed this year. Blown away. Keep it up ladies.

Check them out at www.lastchanceranch.org and www.animallifelineonline.org

No comments: