guinea pigs, horses and danes

It started last Sunday at a Halloween Pet Parade, there were the usual dogs, a few cats, even a bunny. But what took the cake were two little girls that hand made costumes for their guinea pigs. We chatted a bit, while Sweets layed on a dog bed (not noticing the pigs just yet).
"Is this their first public appearance?"
"Yep!"
Meanwhile, there are pit bulls and golden retrievers walking all around, while these two little critters get a "grass" break (thank you, thank you, thank you, the pigs left the event in one piece). I watched as their parents hung out with them. And I really got that must be what parenting is all about, it's going to the halloween pet parade with your daughters who dressed up their guinea pigs. It's just that simple, it's what you do when your a parent. They were such sweet kids too.

Bruce the 100 lb dane is with the family for a few weeks, we'll be working on his manners and seeing if the horses next door figure out that is isn't a pony. With the business, and the house and the million other things that I could boringly account for, I got a great reminder, again, of those important things....

A client's dog was diagnosed with stomach cancer, last week it was kidney failure with another...it's a new cycle for me, actually a first. To know these dogs, in some cases for years and hear such devestating news. I suppose it happens everywhere all the time, and when it shows up in your world, it gets our attention for a few minutes at least. It's been a year of a lot of firsts- first friends heading toward divorce, first friend who's parent died suddenly, first old friend that died before her time. With all the firsts, there have been lots of hurried moments, wasted time and worries.

So as I sit here with a puppy chewing a rawhide in my lap, a pointer girl sniffing my nose and a dane named Bruce napping on the couch, it's quite the scene. And it's what I do, type and check my email while the dogs nap peacefully. And I'm constantly reminded of the gift they are now and how again, a face lick, a cold nose, a napping buddy. It's what's important to me.

No comments: