boys, dogs, scarcity and hope

I got a call today from a local mental health counselor who has a client that is a little boy, (14 years) that is hitting his dog (a pit bull). She has been working with the family for a few months and routinely asks about animals in the home to get a sense of the overall "history" and dynamic of the household. The dog is living in a fence yard and chained near a dog house. He or she is jumping, biting and likely pent up and under exercised- a recipe for avoidance because the dog is probably unpleasant to be around.

This universal "neat-o" factor is that she immediately saw an opportunity for this little guy (the boy, that is). Despite the fact that he hits his dog, he also said, "we keep the dog outside, and I wish he could sleep in my bed."

Bingo, flashing lights, and an "in".

She got on the phone and started calling local dog folks.

Perhaps I'm the only one naive enough, nah, I don't think it's naivete, because trust me I've fire and I've seen rain, as Sir James Taylor would say, especially in the realm of animal welfare.

But, the possibility that we could change something, even if it's just teaching this boy and family how to properly care for their dog, how to help him or her burn energy, to chew on something appropriate, to learn some manners, well it lit me up. It's been a long while since I've felt pulled toward something... but this grabbed me. She'll be giving them my number and we'll see!
Stay tuned.

No comments: